Password policies are used to enforce the creation and use of password complexity. Your IAM password policy should be set for passwords to require the inclusion of different character types. The password policy should enforce passwords contain at least one number, this increases security, especially from a brute force attack.
To change the password policy in the AWS Console you will need appropriate permissions to View Identity Access Management Account Settings.
To manually set the password policy with a minimum length, follow these steps:
- Log in to the AWS Management Console as an IAM user at https://console.aws.amazon.com/iam/.
- Navigate to IAM Services.
- On the Left Pane click Account Settings.
- Select Require at least one number.
- Click Apply password policy.
To change the password policy, use the following command:
aws iam update-account-password-policy --require-numbers
All commands starting with aws iam update-account-password-policy can be combined into a single command.
Updated 5 days ago