Access keys of IAM accounts should be rotated to decrease the likelihood of accidental exposure, and to protect AWS resources against unauthorized access.
We recommend access keys of IAM accounts are rotated every 90 days or less.
To rotate access keys, follow these steps:
- Log in to the AWS Management Console at https://console.aws.amazon.com/.
- Navigate to IAM users, and select the relevant user.
- If the user has two active access keys, deactivate and then delete one of them. If the user has two keys and one of them is deactivated, then delete it.
- Create a new access key. You should now have two active access keys.
- Deactivate the old access key.
Mac users can also use this tool: https://github.com/Fullscreen/aws-rotate-key.
Updated over 1 year ago